Thursday 11 February 2016

Ownership

Well here I am.. I've spent the last five years working with my coach and it has definitely has been a relationship that has been many things. It has been fun and it has also been difficult at times. The amount of laughs that we've had over this time are impossible to count. He has been a coach, mentor, and a father figure. Also in this time period we have struggled to get me where I need to be with my swing.

We've seen flashes of brilliance and while there have been my fair share of those moments we've also seen times of utter despair, blood, sweat and tears (literally). For the first time though, I feel like I'm finally on the cusp of something great happening with my game when it matters. The reasons for this are numerous as every time out... no matter the situation or result it has been educational. I know that this sounds like a cliche but it's true. I've had sessions where it went (or at least I perceived it to have been) horrible... but there is ALWAYS something to take away from a session whether good or bad. Like Coach Dixon says "Alex... don't be upset. There is nothing to be upset over... it was a work session so there is nothing bad about it." Of course, my borderline perfectionist personality in me wants to strike every ball properly which as golfers we know is practically impossible. What was it that Mr. Ben Hogan said? He hit what... two perfect shots a tournament? I mean, we're talking Ben Hogan.

But getting back onto the topic where I said that I was "on the cusp..." What I'm about to say is real risky... if you're superstitious (which I happen to be) because there might be some sort of "strike-down" by the "Golf Gods". For the first time in this process of playing golf as a professional, regardless of how well I've played at times I feel like I finally have "ownership" of  "my swing". Much of the credit has to go to my coach (of course) who has given me a thorough education on the golf swing... in particular mine. There is no doubt that he has been patient with me. I'm not too sure what clicked exactly (or when) but I have been in a real groove with my swing. Every swing for the first time feels like the one before it. At times where my strike has been slightly less than optimal I know exactly what caused the issue. My tempo has been on and perhaps the "Swingclick Plus Golf Training Aid" that I've been testing for a review has contributed to my success. I won't say much right now as that review will be posted next week but it identified an issue that coach wasn't able to rectify in this time frame. No fault of his as this was an issue on my part and there was no way to change "my wiring". Either way, all that I know is that I'm very happy with where my swing is both mentally and physically right now. I cannot wait to wake up and go to the dome in morning and keep this train rolling.

Until the next tee.

No comments:

Post a Comment