Tuesday 23 February 2016

Chilling Epiphany

In the words of "The Beatles" the route of my journey playing golf as a professional has been a "Long and Winding Road". The constant changing tide, ebb and flow that has been the total re-construction of a golf swing and I've commented before about the "blood, sweat and tears" along the way. Playing through major swing changes and not trusting my swing has led to poor tournament results up to this point. Even still I have no regrets. I've always said that everything I'm doing now was for when I turned 50... and beyond. There is no doubt that I've learned a ton about the golf swing (thanks to my coach) and about myself. At times, I would be shown things one day and then when I did those exact things the next day... it was wrong. "No... not like that you dough head" would be one of the terms of endearment that I would hear from my coach.

Over the last little while I have been in a real groove with my swing where for the first time since this adventure began I truly feel comfortable with my swing. My swing has become so finite that I can finally feel and tell when anything real minute is just a little bit out of whack causing poor strikes. Being able to identify the causes for your misses is an important thing to be able to accomplish. As I sit here in my recliner lounging in my CHASE 54 t-shirt and scrubs, I'm actually laughing to myself thinking about how many different "cause and effect" issues I've been through, which makes me think about something coach told me way back at the beginning. He said "When we're done... Alex you're going to be able to fix anything on the fly that you encounter because you will know your swing.. and the golf swing so well". Dare I say... he was right and it explains why at times he had my head screwed on backwards.

Then today occurred... I had a chilling epiphany. Since I've gotten comfortable with my swing I have also made a couple tweaks of (and on) my own through experimentation. Since the most recent tweak I have really unlocked my best ball striking to date. The striking is crisp and pure as evidenced by the ball marks on my clubface. So then I came home and went on Youtube to further investigate my eureka moment. Sure enough, I saw a correlation between what I've been doing and several PGA Tour stars and the legendary Ben Hogan. Now, there has been speculation and different theories about "HIS secret" through the decades and by no means am I suggesting that I have discovered it. But what I will say is, this correlation has worked for my swing and it might be "My Secret". Chilling.

Until the next tee.

No comments:

Post a Comment