Saturday 13 February 2016

A "68"

As I sit here reflecting on life in general... and of course golf I can't help but think that playing golf again is a lifetime away. At the moment, the temperature here is -20*C or with the exchange rate for my American friends and readers -4. Now that I think about it hmmm a "68"... Nice score!!! (see I told you that I was thinking about golf). So what is someone like me to do on a day like this?

I think that one option is quite obvious seeing that I'm writing this article as my Labrador "Muskoka" is uncontrollably whining after getting a scent and "the call of the wild". It's a day that sees me not heading to a dome to work on things and as much as I should go to the gym to workout I am choosing not to take part in that endeavour either partially because I need a rest. So what I will do today on a day that is neither fit for human nor beast?

Short game... I will work on my short game. As important as our full swings are, the short game is the money maker. Yes, we need to put the ball in play but when we're missing our targets we need the short game to be...as the cool kids say nowadays "on fleek". Truth be told, I cannot believe that I just worked that into one of my entries. I know that I have written on this topic before on my website (alexandertothgolf.com) and there is no doubt that it is an important topic. My point today however, is that no matter what... there's always a will and a way to work on this aspect of our games.

I am currently in the middle of testing a SeeMore Putters Corona Del Mar that I seem to be rolling better than anything I have rolled before. To do this mid-winter I am using a Big Moss Augusta Putting Green (review posted click on link below) that I was very fortunate to have tested and not only did it test well... it became an integral part of my practice regimen. They roll as true as a green... a well conditioned green. If you don't have one... look them up or roll putts on your carpet or alternative type of mat. They key is that you're putting time into your... putting. (see what I did there?). While you're at it... grab a wedge and spend time working on your chipping too...you'll thank yourself for it. If you have an impact bag (which I do not) work on your wrist angles going into the ball. You can do this also by gentling going into something firm (a pillow or a piece of wood or bottom of your sofa)  making sure that you're club does not get past your hands through impact. Don't be "flipping out".

Basically, the moral of the story is just don't sit on your "collective keesters" today or tomorrow. Even if you're housebound in -20* weather doing some "California Dreamin'" while watching the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am take some time during commercials and practice. Who knows... maybe you'll shoot a "68".

Until the next tee.

http://www.alexandertothgolf.com/apps/forums/topics/show/13159816-big-moss-golf-the-augusta


No comments:

Post a Comment