Saturday 31 December 2016

Grand Finale - The Last of '16

It really feels like we just turned the page on all of our calendars from 2015 to 2016. Now, we look up and in 6 hours here in the Eastern Time Zone we will be ringing in 2017. So let's look back on the year that was 2016.

While I did not play a lot of golf in 2016 it still was a year that I can look back on and have positive feelings. Although most of my golf was played before our golf season began (due to a warm and relatively snow-free winter) I was satisfied with how I played when I did get out. Never did I think that I's play golf on New Year's Day but to play in February was a real treat. Spring and Summer most of my play would halt due to long hours and drives to fulfill my role as the Director of Golf Services at Port Colborne Country Club. This can only help my golf resume down the road and I loved the course and it's membership. Unfortunately, we had to say good-bye to the course built in 1929 for financial reasons that were insurmountable. The course filed for bankruptcy, was put up for sale and was purchased by an outside party. Thankfully the course was purchased by "golf people" and it will not be bulldozed for real estate. So the course will remain under a new name (a suggestion that I made October 7th calling it Port Colborne Golf Club). As far as my future goes in all likelihood my tenure is over. That said, I recenntly made the decision to apply to be a Candidate for Membership with the PGA of Canada which is something that I've mulled over for considerable time.

From a blog standpoint I think my year was really good. First , I have to thank all of the companies and firms that took a chance on a "nobody" from Niagara Falls. Companies like Golf Marketing Services (Holly and Irlianna), Callaway Apparel, OnCore Golf, Swing Wizzard, KenRick Golf, Cradlz, Mary Beth Lacy, Miura, Carnoustie, SunIce, TaylorMade Golf (Canada), HoleOut, Lateral Line Putters and so many others. Without you I would have had no equipment to review. I am truly grateful for all of the opportunities. After my web hosting/building site failed to give me the services I paid for I made a tough situation to move everything to blogger. It's worked out very well and my page views in a short time with limited posts is better than I thought. Now I can see traffic and give companies numbers of views. Numbers that I need to possess in order to approach more golf companies to bring you (my readers) more products to review. Also special thanks go to CHASE 54 and TRUE Linkswear brands that I am a proud to wear and be part of. #ForThePursuit #teamTRUE
Image result for chase 54

This year was a tough year in sports and entertainment. Yes the Chicago Cubs won the World Series and golf returned to the Olympics. Honestly, I never liked golf returning to the Olympics in Rio and it was for the very reason that has surfaced down there. It's a sport for the wealthy (especially down there) that is highly corrupt. so now the beautiful Gil Hanse (Mossy Oak Golf Course) layout sits there. Mostly unused. All of those dollars seemingly wasted. I just wish that golf would have waited until 2020 in Tokyo only because the industry is booming in that part of the world.  The world lost David Bowie, Prince, and Carrie Fisher just to name a few. But the passing of our King was real tough for me. The news that Mr. Arnold Palmer passed had the entire golfing community grief-stricken. No one person ever epitomized the game like Mr. Palmer. One of my heroes forever.
Image result for arnold palmer
Photo Credit: USA Today
In closing, I just want to take the time a very safe and prosperous 2017. May your year be filled with happy memories and many birdies. Stay tuned everyone.
Image result for baby new year cartoon
Add caption
Until The Next Tee!




No comments:

Post a Comment