Monday 2 January 2017

New Year's Evolution

Happy New Year everybody. Welcome to 2017. A year that I hope is great for everyone. A year that brings everyone good health, happy times and since this is a golf blog... many birdies. Every year, millions of people worldwide make a resolution. These resolutions are usually about self-betterment and they can involve quitting a vice like smoking or dropping some weight. When you really think about it in a way it's for us as individuals to evolve.

Evolution is something that I'm attempting to do. I chose a terrific time to make a lifestyle change (right before the holidays) and I really think that it was great for self-discipline. All of that turkey, mashed potatoes and of course tantalizing desserts can be a tough thing to avoid. But if I can make it through the holidays without binging than maybe I accomplish other goals.

It's no secret that I started a pretty significant workout regimen and as much as it is about improving my health (or at least helping my own cause) it's more about the golf. I'm not getting any younger and none of us are. But to accomplish goals like returning to competitive golf I know I have to evolve. I have to get more fit, stronger, faster, and more flexible. The latter is more of an issue than I thought. Admittedly, I hate doing cardio but that aspect of things is by far the most important thing for me to address. Improving my stamina could go a long way in my goals.

Evolution isn't just about physical fitness. I have been trudging along playing part-time on various Mini-Tours here and in the United States. Yes, I am a professional that partakes in these events but I have at times felt like a phony. Mostly because I have never had initials following my name. It's amazing how a few little letters can play on your mind. In my case, it's almost been like an attack of the conscience. In my heart I know I am a professional (and a terrific teacher) and I have no problem looking at myself in the mirror in the morning. But because of the lack of letters I feel like my status is "half-assed" and it has placed a bullseye on my back to a few in the industry in the area. The cyber-bullying that I have gone through from employees (or their friends) of Golf Town  and even a representative industry of a manufacturer in the industry has been mind-blowing. Honestly, because of issues with said representative I would be hard-pressed to cover their products no matter how great their equipment is. Again the need for evolution. I made the decision to pursue becoming a Class "A" Member of the PGA of Canada. After I return home from the PGA Show my priority is to apply to become a "Candidate for Membership" of the PGA. A move that is necessary for me as it would make me more attractive to more golf positions and mentally.

Even my blogging efforts are going to be evolving. I have been experimenting with what I want as a product for my readers. I had my website (still do) but I haven't posted anything new there. If I could still track my traffic and other statistics I wouldn't even have this page. I think things have worked out well here but I just don't feel that it's where it could be. I'm thinking of more change which would involve a name change and the building of an entirely new site. I already have a name in mind and if I can find the right host and site builder for look for a change. My current domain is set to expire in 9 days. Ultimately, I would love to have a forum like so many of the big discussion boards and have that sort of clout with manufacturers which is slowly getting there. The question is... is a name change too risky? Food for thought.

Evolution can be fun and challenging. Ask yourself as we have a clean slate. What's your New Year's Evolution?

Until The Next Tee!

No comments:

Post a Comment