Thursday 20 October 2016

Review - OnCore Avant

Well this is some kind of irony. It’s late at night and I’m sitting here in my recliner relaxing after a long work day watching some late night television. Being unable to sleep I figured what better time to start writing a review. An advertisement appears on the television for OnCore Golf… the Avant golf ball. The target subject of this review. In the past, I have been very lucky to have had the opportunity to test and write some reviews on independent golf ball companies. While a few of these golf balls fared very well in testing others were less impressive. At a later date a few of these companies would be named in a suit by Acushnet... irony.

OnCore Golf is based in nearby Buffalo, NY. OnCore is the brainchild of co-founders Bret Blakely and Steve Coulton. Two guys who if you were to look at them would make you think “frat boy” instead of active entrepreneur. But don’t kid yourself as these two individuals are very well seasoned backed by degrees and experience in marketing, advertising and investment banking. Blakely and Coulton are supported by Doug DuFaux who has a background in manufacturing and engineering including a Bachelor and Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering. With all of the key pieces in place and as time wore on which included R&D “backers” liked what they were doing and ultimately climbed aboard the OnCore Golf “train”.

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL1LfSdeA6I

OnCore Golf has been around a little longer than the average golf fan might be aware  think. Yes, OnCore Golf is relatively new to the golf industry but they haven’t exactly been absent either. A few years ago the brand brought out the world’s first metal hollow core golf ball which came on the heels of their earlier golf balls (Omen and EVO). This was when their MA-1.0 golf ball was released. If there is one thing that I really admire about this brand it has to be their dedication to evolution and innovation. Inadvertently, I tried one of the MA1.0 balls while down in Florida during the 2014 PGA Show. I was playing some post-show golf and a friend of mine unbeknownst to me had a 2-ball trial pack. I put it into play and I will say openly and honestly that I didn’t care for it at all. But this review is not about the MA-1.0... This review is all about the Avant.

I was intrigued by the Avant when I first learned of its existence partially because of my “experience” with the MA-1.0 . The other part of me was intrigued by the Avant because it boasted a lower compression (65). My curiosity prompted me to write a letter to them requesting a review opportunity, Fortunately, my request was granted and the shipping and receiving of the Avant from OnCore was fast. Regardless of my relatively close proximity to OnCore Golf, their customer service and follow up e-mails were terrific. Before continuing on, I should give a little bit of background information on the Avant.

The Avant golf ball from OnCore Golf is a 2-piece golf ball that has OnCore’s unique SoftCell Technology. As mentioned the Avant has a relatively low compression at 65 and the cover is a soft Surlyn while the ball features 392 dimples. According to OnCore Golf the Avant targets golfers who “want phenomenal distance, with a super soft feel.” While offering “low spin off the driver and high spin on wedge shots”

When I picked up my golf balls we were somewhat mired in winter. Of course there was some snow and ice on the ground but this was a winter where I was able to play winter golf. I would play 9 hole rounds with the Avant early and often. Right away, I realized that this ball was much different than the earlier model previously mentioned. My first swing in 35* weather left me impressed from a feel and performance standpoint and I found the trajectory to be“just right“ (for my liking). Maybe this trajectory is part of OnCore’s marketing where “golfers want MORE”.

In this case more means MAXIMUM performance, OPTIMAL trajectory, REVOLUTIONARY technology and EXPLOSIVE velocity. The Avant felt soft off of the driver and considering the conditions it proved to be pretty long. It was hard to say how good the approach spin was considering how receptive the greens were but there was clear evidence that the Avant had “drop and stop” capabilities. What left me impressed the most was that throughout these early rounds it was the greenside control that left me perplexed. This is meant as a compliment because it checked up like a tour ball and this was something I didn’t expect.

Eventually, winter gave way to spring and summer where again we are mired. This time in oppressive heat and drought. My home course is Port Colborne Country Club where I serve as the Director of Golf. Although the position hasn’t left me much time for golf I have managed to play a little bit. The course is in great shape considering the drought and the greens are firm and fast. In my limited play I have used two balls. I have played with the Avant and a “similar” offering from another company. My observations with the Avant are indicated below.



Feel. Great feel off of driver with a trajectory that is terrific (this is subjective). The Avant does not balloon. I love the feel off of the irons in particular. I would say out of every golf ball that I’ve either tested, reviewed and played the feel of the Avant ranks in the Top 5.

Distance. While I do not have equipment like Trackman I will suggest based on my observations that the Avant is a longer golf ball. Much of this based on those early cold rounds. With the irons I believe that it is about half a club longer (4-7 yards)

Spin. The approach spin with the Avant is very admirable. With the greens currently being as firm as they are... tour balls are not exhibiting their “usual” characteristics. To this end, I have to class the approach spin as “solid and similar”. Meaning that the ball lands.. wanting to check and stop but it does have a little bit of “rollout”. That said, it isn’t much more rollout than my “gamer” (tour ball).

Greenside Spin. Again the difference right now is negligible between Ball A and Ball B. You can clearly see that the Avant wants to check and hold but ultimately there is rollout. Thinking back to winter, late winter and early spring the greenside control was very, very good. Consequently, I was doing a little greenside work after my shift Wednesday. The Avant was slamming the brakes on.

Putting. I love putting with this ball. The Surlyn cover is responsive and the alignment aid is very effective for lining up your putts.

Durability. The Surlyn cover is rugged and durable. I haven’t played a lot but in my opinion the cover hasn't been prone to cuts or blemishes.

Conclusion -  The OnCore Avant is a golf ball that offers  golfers of all playing abilities a "ton of bang for the buck". A dozen of these impressive balls will cost you $20 USD and they will not disappoint. OnCore Golf is making waves in the golf ball industry. Stay tuned to see what they come up with next. #BeMoreWithOnCore

No comments:

Post a Comment