Saturday 22 October 2016

Review - Bridgestone Golf JGR Hybrid Forged Irons

If there is one thing that I have said that I will never waver from it's my thoughts. That "Alexism" is this. "Improving in golf... depends on your ability to check your ego at the door".  This pertains to a few different things among them includes having an open mind and flex of shaft. Today's subject could also epitomize the thought. 

When the average golf consumer thinks of forged irons they think of eye-pleasing muscle back designs or a tiny blade with nary a top line. Although this has been the thought for a very long time the reality is that golf manufacturers know that only a low percentage of golfers worldwide can produce consistent ball-striking with these tiny instruments of craftsmanship that house a sweet spot the size of a dime. Little by little golf equipment manufacturers came to the realization that there was a niche market for the mid to high handicap golfer that desired to play a forged iron. A true forged iron that could help them improves their games. If one company really captured this goal in 2016 it might have to be Bridgestone Golf.


Bridgestone Golf long known for their golf balls (and in these parts only known for the balls) happens to have a real nice product range of golf clubs too. And they should, considering they have staffers like Fred Couples, Brandt Snedeker and Matt Kuchar in their stable. In the past when you looked at their offerings one of the words that would be used to describe them would be "clean" which still the case is. Often though to get that clean look designers have to sacrifice forgiveness. With the JGR Hybrid Forged irons an observer might contend that Bridgestone Golf sacrificed looks for forgiveness. Before continuing on about the JGR Hybrid Forged irons I will use some literature from www.bridgestonegolf.com

"JGR Hybrid FORGED irons are a revolution in distance. Featuring the lowest and deepest CoG of any forged iron on the market we are able to increase lengths and strengthen lofts while maintaining traditional iron trajectories, thereby maintaining landing angles for maximum stopping power on the greens. JGR Hybrid FORGED irons will fly longer with more distance while still providing the shot shapes golfers prefer."

Upon reading that snippet from their website, it would make a golf consumer (in their target audience) feel intrigued. Much like I was when I saw these irons on the Demo Day range at Orange County National. But there is a lot more to these irons as they are simply not just geared towards the high handicap because they are also geared towards the professional as well. These irons are offered with very high quality stock shafts as the JGR Hybrid Forged Irons come with either the Nippon Zelos 8 in steel or the UST Mamiya Recoil as a graphite option. One knock on these irons coming out of the gate is that these are only available for right-handed golfers which means there is no love for the southpaw golfers out there. As mentioned above, the lofts are bumped up as the PW2 is 44*. The iron set starts with a 5 iron that has a loft of 22* which is pretty "beefy" for a 5 iron. Then again, it's all for a good reason because most golfers carry a hybrid for those types of loft anyways. Also, it makes for more room in the bag for extra wedges. For a set composition a golfer could get away with a Driver, 5 wood and go into the irons from there or Driver, 4 wood, hybrid and then irons. Either way, the iron set allows for some flexibility of your set. Other important information about this iron set from Bridgestone Golf is that they created their "thinnest face ever" and they've incorporated a vibration dampening "Turbo Rubber" which also enhances the feel.
Image result for jgr hybrid forged irons
Photo Credit: Bridgestone Golf
I will never forget my immediate impression of these irons at the Bridgestone Golf booth at the Demo Day. After admiring their range of drivers, metalwoods and hybrids (driver was a serious sleeper as mentioned in my review at alexandertothgolf.com) I looked at these JGR Hybrid Forged irons and thought "what a travesty". Adjectives like "shovel", "ugly", and "appalling" came to mind. I was actually disgusted and downright hated them. Maybe there is a part of me that could be classified as a "purist" thus being the reason of my malcontent. For example... the flange I couldn't bear to even look at. One other quote I've used in my life is "to be able to kiss a girl you have to be able to look at her" and I had a hard time looking at them. Prior to placing the iron down in the address position I looked at the cavity and thought that the badge was nicely done. It looked quite smart and thought that at least it had that going for it. Then I placed it down and I was surprised by the fact that the ever present flange did not bother me. Frankly, I never really noticed it. So I thought... okay let's see the "proof in the pudding".

https://youtu.be/-K08rjD2y9g

Image result for jgr hybrid forged irons
Photo Credit: Bridgestone Golf
On my first swing, I knew that Bridgestone Golf had a tremendous iron with the JGR Hybrid Forged irons. The top line was moderate and the face responsive. The flight of the ball was "long and strong". I also noticed that the feel was like the oft-used term "butter". If anything it was so smooth that pure strikes did not offer any sort of feedback. That said, when I toed one it offered that feedback. So there is feedback on a poorly struck golf ball. But what I really found attractive about the JGR Hybrid Forged irons was the launch conditions. The ball elevated quickly (without ballooning) and climbed down range. No doubt that the wide flange and consequential weight low and back played an integral part of these ideal launch conditions. Launch is great for anyone... isn't it nice being able to get the ball up in the air? For those wondering about the workability of these irons. The JGR Hybrid Forged irons are workable in either direction. The location of their booth was such that there was a right to left wind (quartering). With my usual draw ball flight I would say that the JGR irons were a club longer than my "gamers" which are longer than my previous model. Even into the wind when I opted to hit one or two in that direction without putting other "attendees" in harm's way the JGR Hybrid Forged irons were longer. Flighting the golf ball was a snap... set it back (half back swing... abbreviate follow through) and watch it happen. Fat shots weren't severely punished but I am sure that if you tried really hard... a fat shot would be punished. The width of the sole/flange helps in protecting against the fat shot.

Conclusion: I really wanted to hate the JGR Hybrids and I cannot stress that enough. The fact is that Bridgestone Golf really raised the bar when it comes to Super Game-Improvement clubs offered as a forged head. This iron is the ultimate in forgiveness; the length is impressive and could be viewed as too long. Only because it could potentially create gapping issues. Would I game a set? The short answer is yes.

Until The Next Tee!


No comments:

Post a Comment