Wednesday 27 April 2016

Spring Sprang

Before I really get into writing this piece I have to say that I'm not even certain that sprang is even a word as seen in the title. Actually, I'm quite certain that it isn't. So if by some sort of wild fluke that my former Grade 13 English teacher is reading this (which I guarantee that he isn't) I apologize Mr. MacKay.

Like life spring is very much eternal. Much like the sun setting at night and rising the following day Spring is a certain inevitability. For some very fortunate folks, in their parts of the world they see colours that are always green, lush, tropical and/or in bloom. For others, they have have to wait a little bit longer. Like those souls that live in the true northern climes like the Northwest Territories of Canada. But for them too, spring arrives as the "Mountain Avens" bloom. I just drove home along the Niagara Parkway here in Niagara Falls and year after year the roadway is a ribbon of Tulips and Daffodils that the Niagara Parks Commission plants to welcome the throngs of tourists. Another true sign of spring.

As much as I would like to go on about flowers I won't. After all this is a golf blog and not a blog for botanists. As many of you might know I took on a new position at a "new to me" golf course. I am the new Director of Golf Services at Port Colborne Country Club in Port Colborne, Ontario and I really should apologize for the length of time in between entries. I am loving this challenge very much and since starting there March 15th I have seen change at the course. From the brown dormancy of near death through Mid-March and early April to the green splendor that the course is quickly evolving into before my very eyes. Like the tulips this too is a sign of spring. Last Sunday was our opening day which followed a course clean-up by a crew of volunteers that consisted of some of our membership. But the buzz that day was terrific. In a way, it really felt sort of electric as members came in one by one to drop off their golf bags into our bag storage. It really was hard to believe that a day or two prior we had endured a 3" snowfall. But then the next day happened and we opened which was very busy and at times hectic. It was like another sign of spring arriving as golfers "migrated" back to the golf course. Our open that day was a "trial by fire" and for all intents and purposes it went real smooth considering the issues with GolfNow. That day most certainly was electric as there was a definite buzz in the air. What a great vibe!!

My excitement for what will come this season is growing as I am watching our course change every time I go out there. Evolving and ever changing. From slogging through the fairways and rough to hearing and seeing the change in our greens daily. On April 15th the greens were soft, slow and wet to the current where they are firming up and getting a hair quicker. Reports coming in by members and guests alike on our conditions is fantastic and the greens haven't even been rolled yet. They are however, getting cut every other day. It's just so fun watching the green landscape evolve and hearing the voices of golfers carry throughout the grounds. I love what I do. There is no doubt, judging by the golfers milling around and the sound of balls being struck on the first tee that spring HAS sprang.
The sun setting on the 13th at Port Colborne Country Club


Until the next tee.

No comments:

Post a Comment