Sunday 3 April 2016

A Magical Time

As the snow falls outside of my window I am sitting here in my recliner sipping on a specialty coffee brewed from my Keurig. My aging laptop in my lap and my trusty Labrador Retriever (Muskoka) at my feet.. My fingers are sort of droning away as I gather my thoughts. It's been a busy time for me and I haven't posted an entry in what feels like a really long time. It's been a busy time for me as of late mostly because I started a new position at a course that has been around a long time. Last month, I was named the Director of Golf Services at the 87 year old Port Colborne Country Club in Wainfleet, Ontario where I was raised until I went out to live on my own. It's felt like a homecoming of sorts. The course is historic and speaking of historic it's finally upon us. That magical time of the year... "Masters Week" where again history will be made.



I actually love watching the PGA Tour the week before and I think it's for a couple of reasons. The first reason is because of the venue at the Shell Houston Open. The Golf Club of Houston reminds me of Augusta National in a number of ways. Are there Magnolias and Azaleas in abundance? I'm not totally sure to be honest because I don't really pay that much attention to the grounds atthe Humble, Texas facility. But regardless, there is something about the 2003 design by Rees Jones that is eerily reminiscent of the course in Augusta, Georgia. Perhaps, it's the Cypress, Oak and Pine trees that majestically line the fairways around the property. The second reason why I like this tournament so much is because players that haven't qualified yet for The Masters have a chance to get into the years first Major and have a chance at their time to make history. At the moment atop the leaderboard sits Jamie Lovemark and 38 year-old Jim Herman. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't pulling for Herman. If Herman was to hold off the other competitors that would quite simply begin the start of a magical time.

There are so many other story lines that are going to evolve over the next few days. Intriguing story lines that just might create a little magic on their own. I admit that I wasn't going to watch The Masters this year because of personal reasons. I guess I should elaborate on this. I entered the lottery last year for tickets. While I wasn't really wanting tournament tickets I was really hoping to get my hands on practice round tickets. Well as it turns out i got my wish. Making a long story short I went to pay for my tickets as time was winding down and my payment wouldn't go through. When I finally got through to someone down in Augusta it was explained to me that the address didn't match my card. I scratched my head and there it was... my house number is 4434 and for some inexplicable reason they had 4434-4434 so... I lost my allotment. I was really bummed out and I wasn't going to watch because every time that I would see the grounds I would most likely go into a bit of a depression (I'm not being melodramatic either). But, thanks to my parents I am a believer in everything happening for a reason. Sometimes it's a positive thing and sometimes what happens really sucks. Little did I know I would get the job that I now have and I wouldn't have been able to go regardless. I know in my heart of hearts that I would have tuned into the coverage anyways. I'm passionate about the game and what kind of golf blogger would I be if I didn't write on The Masters? A real lousy one that is immature... that's what kind. This week will be magic.

Until the next tee.

No comments:

Post a Comment