Friday 11 March 2016

A Testing Tale

I am very fortunate to have so many manufacturers in the golf industry give me the opportunity to test and review their products. Some of the companies are pretty big while others are just in their infant stages. To be totally frank, it really doesn't matter to me who they are I'm just very appreciative of their collective generosity. But with every testing comes a story and this piece is definitely no different.

Not too long ago, I wrote OnCore Golf about testing some of their golf balls. The company headquartered in nearby Buffalo, NY obliged by giving me the chance to test out their new Avant golf ball. If you aren't familiar with the brand, OnCore introduced the world's only Hollow Metal Core golf ball and are also the title sponsor of the OnCore Gateway Tour. Seeing that I'm still very much in the testing phase of this golf ball  I won't divulge much about it right now. There will be a review coming to alexandertothgolf.com The Home of Organic Golf Reviews.

In Niagara our winter been freakishly warm thanks to that little Spanish fellow El Nino and as unnatural as it is "he" brought some seriously nice golf weather this week. Considering the amount of snow we were shoveling at this time last year being able to go golfing is one thing. But it's an entirely different animal when you can go golfing wearing no sweater on your upper body and wear just a polo in March. It was 20*C/68*F (have to include the exchange rate) the other day and it wasn't much cooler the day before. So I used both days as an opportunity to play and get some testing done. Testing included the aforementioned Avant and as that testing was just beginning I was wrapping up testing on the SeeMore Putters Corona Del Mar (so that review will be out shortly). I started out my round en fuego as I was paired up with three other golfers. I went Eagle, Birdie, Par, Birdie to start and now I'm thinking... "Uh oh I peaked too soon". So the testing of the Avant was going well... I'm hitting greens and I'm hitting fairways. Heck...I'm getting impressed with the Avant and as far as the SeeMore goes,.. I honestly feel like any putt will fall when it's in my hands. I was "rolling the rock" so well. Then the final hole happened.

After nailing a drive down the right side on the 9th hole I hit my approach a little too long. I watched my ball hit the fringe at the back of the green and watched it slowly settle down the hill. No worries I thought to myself as I walked up to the green... chip and a putt right? Well, as I was approaching where my ball was (or should have been) there was a black squirrel slinking away. Now, as God as my witness... I could have sworn I saw a "white nut" in the rodents mouth. I just sort of shook my head as if I was trying to clear the cobwebs out of my head. Had I really seen what I thought I saw? Then I realize that my ball is messing. So now I'm scouring the area searching... looking... and looking more...then nada. No ball! Don't worry, I didn't spend much time at all looking as I normally don't during casual rounds. But, the little son of a gun stole my ball and there is a little bit of me that thinks there is a tree behind the green that is chock full 'o' balls. "Curses black vermin!!!!"At any rate, I finished up my round, walked to my awaiting chariot, loaded up my clubs and went home... happy.

Until the next tee.

No comments:

Post a Comment